Selena Quintanilla is a legendary musical icon who has been ruling our hearts since she produced her first music. She is a true inspirer and motivator whose way of life has been passed through the music and her philosophy and ideals.
It has been 26 years that the world has missed her presence. Despite all this, the fan seems to remember her and love her music in any way. As a matter of fact, while she was living, Selena had established herself as a singer, songwriter, model, actress, fashion designer, and businesswoman.
There were few people like her who excelled at a very young age and left people mourning for years after their death. To elaborate, she has been called “Queen of Tejano Music” and “Tejano Madonna” because of her exquisite work in music.
Today, we will talk about this brilliant singer cum actress. We will glance at her love life with handsome singer Chris Perez. Without any further ado, let’s get to know more about this lady through some quick facts;
Table of Contents
Some Quick Facts
|Full Name||Selena Quintanilla|
|Nickname||Preciosa, Sel, Queen of Tejano, Buffy, La Reina de Tex-Mex, Selena Quintanilla-Pérez, Queen of Cumbia, Queen of Latin Music, Tejano Madonna|
|Date of Birth||April 16, 1971|
|Birth Place||Lake Jackson, Texas, United States|
|Age||23 years old|
|Father’s Name||Abraham Quintanilla Jr.|
|Mother’s Name||Marcella Ofelia Quintanilla|
|Siblings||A.B. Quintanilla III, Suzette Quintanilla|
|Height||5 ft 5 in or 165 cm|
|Weight||57 kg or 126 lbs|
|Body Measurements||35-26-37 in or 89-66-94 cm|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Shoe Size||7 (US)|
|Education||Oran M. Roberts Elementary School, West Oso Junior High, American School of Correspondence|
|Net Worth||$5 million|
|Social Media Presence|
|Last Updated||June 2022|
Who Is Selena Quintanilla?-Parents, Siblings
One of the legendary singers, Quintanilla, was raised in Lake Jackson, Texas. She was born to mother Marcella Ofelia Quintanilla and father Abraham Quintanilla.
If you have ever wondered why this lady chose music as her career, it is definitely because of her father, a musician. Other than this, she was blessed with an elder sister Suzette Quintanilla and an older brother A.B. Quintanilla III.
Not to mention her sister is a brilliant actress, while her brother works as a record producer. When she was six years old, Selena became keen on music and started showing musical abilities.
Her timing and pitch were perfect. Soon along with her sibling Selena formed a band named Selena y Los Dinos and started performing on stages, at weddings, street corners, fairs, and other events.
At the tender age of seventeen, she received her high school diploma from the American School of Correspondence in Chicago. Soon after that, Selena enrolled at Louisiana State University.
Furthermore, she took business administration as her major at Pacific Western University.
How Did Selena Quintanilla Die? How Old Was She?
The Queen of Tejano was murdered barely two weeks before her 24th birthday on March 31, 1995. Selena was shot with a gun by Yolanda Saldivar, who identified as her friend.
She was also the creator and president of other fan clubs and worked as manager of Selena’s boutiques in Texas, Corpus Cristi, and San Antonio. Before her death, Selena’s father received many complaints about Yolanda’s poor management skills.
In the process, she failed to send fan club memorabilia to paying customers. Upon investigation, Abraham discovered that she had taken $30,000 from the fans as well as the boutiques.
Being a father, Abraham warned her daughter and asked her to cut off all the ties. However, she hesitated to be in action immediately. Similarly, on March 31, Selena took her to the Days Inn motels.
The Grammy winner asked her for a financial statement or other evidence to not prove her guilty but failed to do so. Yolanda took a handgun from her purse and shot the singer in her shoulder.
Later Selena reached the lobby with a severe injury and collapsed. She was pronounced dead upon her arrival at Corpus Christi Memorial Hospital.
On the other hand, Salvidar tried to flee the crime scene but was convicted by the FBI. She negotiated with the FBI for nine-hour on the phone tearfully while pointing the gun at herself.
Eventually, she was arrested and convicted in October 1995. Now she has been sentenced to life in prison with parole after 30 years in 2025.
When Was Selena Quintanilla Born? How Tall Was She?
This brilliant singer was born on the 16th day of April 1971. She fell under the sun sign of Aries.
This young diva stood tall at an average height of 5 feet 5 inches which converts to 165 cm, while her weight was limited to 126 pounds which converts to 57 kg in general.
Although being a singer, Selena was a fashion icon, and her beauty enchanted many. She was blessed to have dark brown eyes and long black hair.
Talking about her body, her bust measures about 35 inches to 89 cm, her waist about 26 inches to 66 cm, and her waist about 37 inches or 94 cm.
Favorite Things of Selena Quintanilla
- Cartoon: Tom & Jerry
- Lip Color: Brick from Chanel
- Her Song: Bidi Bidi Bom Bom
- TV Series: Garth Brooks, Bonnie Raitt, Janet Jackson, Gloria Estefan
- Fast Food Cain: Whataburger, Jack in the Box, Pizza Hut, Olive Garden
- Janet Jackson Song: Black Cat
- Color: Black, Purple
- Tv Series: Moonlighting
- Flowers: White Roses
- Food: Pizza
Who Was The Husband of Selena Quintanilla?
Back in 1989, this beauty fell in love with handsome singer Chris Perez. He joined her band, and A.B was impressed by his ability. However, his rock band appearance and background made him think twice.
Despite all this, Chris was able to join Selena. Instantly this handsome fell in love with this woman, although he had a girlfriend in San Antonio. While they were enjoying Pizza Hut, Perez confessed his love for this beauty.
Selena agreed, and they secretly started dating on Quintanilla’s father’s back. Eventually, Suzette got to know about their relationship, and she told Abraham about the whole scenario.
Later he threatened to disband the group if he started continuing the relationship, but it did not change Chris’s mind. Just as the couple had anticipated, Abraham fired him.
Despite all this, Perez did not stop seeing Selena and continued their relationship. Abraham once revealed in an interview that,
“I saw him as a threat. What if they decided to get married and he pulled her out of the band? All the work we did in all those years would go down the tubes.”
Finally, in 1992, the lovey-dovey couple decided to elope. The next thing they knew, they were pronounced husband and wife. After the rumors started spreading about their marriage.
In addition to this, Chris and Selena were not a perfect couple. They had several conflicts and often used to fight. However, their communication was so strong that they could get over any fight.
Selena Quintanilla Songs
- Amor Prohibido
- Como la flor
- Bidi Bidid Bom Bom
- Si una Vez
- Dreaming of You
- La Carcaha
- No Me Queda Mas
- El Chico del Apartamento 512
- I Could Fall in Love
- Baila Esta Cumbia
- La Llamada
- Disco Medley
- Techn Cumbia
- Fotos y recuerdos
- No Debes Jugar
- Tu Solo Tu
- donde Quiera Que Estes
- Dame un beo
- Que Creias
- Ya Ves
- Buenos Amigos
- Dame un beso
- Ya no
- Yo Me Voy
- Missing My Baby
- Si La Quieres
- Contigo quiero estar
- Siempre have frio
Selena Quintanilla Awards
- During Selena’s carer, she was nominated for 90 awards and won 68f them. To be precise, this artist has won 14 Billboard Latin Music Awards, 10 Nuestro Awards, 36 Tejano Music Awards, and has given BMI Awards.
- In 1995, this lady became the recipient of the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers under the category of Among Most Performed Songs for her son, I Could Fall in Love.
- In the same year, this singer won BMI Music Awards for BMI Pop Music Award, Song of the Year, Most Performed Song of the Year, Singles With Over a Million Airplay Impressions, and more.
- A year later, Selena received a Billboard Latin Music Awards for Hot Latin Tracks Artist of the Year, regional Mexican Hot Latin Track of the Year, Regional Mexican Hot Lain Video of the Year, Pop Album of the Year, and Female.
- Furthermore, in 1997, the singer won Female Vocalist of the Year, Female Entertainer of the Year, and Song of the Year for her music.
- Similarly, in 2010, Selena won Tejano Music Awards for Best Female Vocalist of the 1980s, Best Female Vocalist of the 1990s, and Best 1990s Song.
What Is The Selena Quintanilla’s Net Worth?
Being one of the iconic singers in the world, Selena has been making money from the day she arrived in the music industry. At the time of her demise, in 2021, the Queen of Tejano made around $5 million from her music.
Instagram: 1.5 million followers
- Quintanilla is the first Tejano artist in Billboard’s Latin Top 200 List of All Time Best Selling Records.
- In 1994 the biggest brand of drinks, Coca Cola created a special beverage bottle to honor her. She had been promoting the brand for five years.
- When her mother was pregnant, her family was expecting a boy. They even decided to name the baby boy Marc Anthony.
- In 1994, she became the first Tejano artist to win a Grammy award. That same year, her other album, Live! Became the best American or Mexican album.
- At the tender age of 3, this lady started to sing her heart out.
- At the age of 9, she was already making headlines. Later, her father formed the music band Selena y Los Dinos.
- Actress cum singer Selena Gomez was named after her.
- She used to design her outfits.
- Prior to her death, she had undergone liposuction to reduce the amount of fat in her thighs and stomach. Surgeon Ricardo Martinzed accomplished the surgery.
- On the auspicious day of October 17, 2017, Google honored her with a musical doodle of her life.
- Finally, in 2020, her life was depicted in a movie titled Selena, The Series. Actress Christian Serrator portrayed the lead role of Selena.
- One of the adorable facts about Quintanilla is that she never denied giving an autograph.
Frequently Asked Question
- Did Selena have kids?
Unfortunately, Selena did not have any kids.
- How old would Selena be right now if she was still alive?
If this singer had been alive, then she would be about 51 years old in 2022.
- How old was Selena when she got married?
This famous singer was only 20 years old when she got married.