Lily James is an English film, television, and stage actress whose breakthrough role in the fantasy film Cinderella in 2015 catapulted her to stardom. Prior to Cinderella, Lily gained a lot of attention for her supporting role as the defiant Lady Rose MacClare in the period drama Downton Abbey.
Since then, James has appeared in major motion pictures such as Baby Driver in 2017, Darkest Hour 2017, and Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again in 2018.
However, the actress rose to international prominence after her appearances in three full-length Hollywood films: the action fantasy film, Wrath of the Titans in 2012, the romantic fairy-tale movie, Cinderella in 2015, and the parodic mash-up horror movie, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies in 2016. In all these movies, Lily James played the lead role.
Lily James: Quick Facts
|Lily Chloe Ninette Thomson
|Date of Birth
|April 5, 1989
|Esher, Surrey, England
|5 feet 7 inch
|Social Media Presence
Table of Contents
Lily James Bio | Education And Early Life
Lily James was born in Esher, Surrey, England on April 5, 1989. Ninette, her mother, was an actress, and her father, James Thomson, was a musician. Helen Horton, Lily’s grandmother, was also an actress and composer for the film Alien. It’s not shocking that the teen, who aspires to carry on the acting legacy, dreamt of the stage from a young age.
Her birth name is actually Lily Chloe Ninette Thomson. She adopted the stage name Lily James in honor of her late father, actor, and musician James Thomson, who died in 2008 following a battle with cancer.
Lily began her education at Tring Arts Educational School and subsequently went on to study acting at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama in London, graduating in 2010.
Age And Body Measurements
Marie, who was born in April 1989, is currently 34 years old as of May 2021, Just a month back she celebrated her birthday. Moreover, this actress is of average height, standing 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighing about 55 kilograms. She has stunning light brown hair and tempting dark brown eyes.
Her body proportions are 34-24-35, which she attributes to her balanced eating habits and consistent workouts. Lily is particular about her diet and likes to consume organic farm-produced vegetables only. The actress uses dresses of size 2(US), and 9 (US) shoe size.
The British actress began her career with a minor part in the series and later moved on to do full-fledged roles in tv shows and movies. Let’s have look.
- The actress has appeared in a few episodes of the family drama Just William in 2010.
- Then Lily starred in eight episodes of the show Secret Diary of a Call Girl.
- Along with her role on the tv shows, the actress tried her hand at acting on stage. Lily James performed on the stage of numerous London theaters on occasion.
- She displayed her brilliant acting talents in two plays by Martin Crimp at Richmond’s Orange Tree Theatre. Furthermore, she played the role of Desdemona in Shakespeare’s play directed by Daniel Evans.
- After the release of the immensely influential series Downton Abbey in 2012, the actress became prosperous and well-known.
- Lily was given a prominent part in this show, but it was not the leading one.
- The actress became much more well-known after her appearance in the fantasy-themed fighter Wrath of the Titans in 2012. The film was a large-scale Jonathan Liebesman production in which Lily James plays Korrina. The actress has finally asserted herself on the star pedestal as a result of this film.
- The actress had a rather prosperous year in 2012. She was involved with multiple ventures at the same time. Broken and Fast Girls also received widespread acclaim from reviewers and audiences alike.
- After a three-year absence, the actress returned to the screen in a supporting role in the American drama, Burnt in 2015. Then Lily’s acting career took off, and she began to land leading roles in world-famous blockbusters.
- Furthermore, Cinderella, directed by Kenneth Branagh, was released on the big screen in March 2015. Cinderella’s part has been auditioned by a number of well-known actresses. But it was Lily James who landed the part and it went on to become a huge hit.
- In 2015, the actress toured Russia as part of the Cinderella promotional tour. Lily James attended the famous Russian show Evening Urgant and met the singer Alsou, who performed the title song of the Russian film.
2016 – 2018
- In 2016, Lily James played Elizabeth Bennet in the horror spoof film Pride and Prejudice and Zombie. The film was inspired by Seth Grahame Smith‘s book.
- In 2017, James appeared in Edgar Wright’s long-awaited crime thriller Baby Drive, playing the secondary role of Debora. This film was well-received by critics. The crime thriller follows the story of a young and trendy man who does risky and illegal work: he assists the robbers in fleeing the crime scene. But when the guy tries to leave the game, he runs into problems not with the low, but with the criminal world.
- In addition, in 2017, the actress landed a major female role in the biographical drama Darkest Hour. The film depicts the first decisions made by Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. Churchill rose to power under extraordinary circumstances, and his first act as Prime Minister was to refuse to negotiate with Hitler. In this drama, Lily James played Elizabeth Layton.
- Likewise, this film had its world premiere on September 1st, 2017 at the Telluride Film Festival.
- In the sequel to Mamma Mia!, dubbed Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, James played the younger version of Meryl Streep‘s character, Donna Sheridan. The film was released in July of 2018.
- The same year, James starred as author Juliet Ashton in the 1940s period drama The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, in which she shares letters with inhabitants of Guernsey, an island off the coast of Normandy that was invaded by the Germans during World War II.
- In 2019, James co-starred with Gillian Anderson in Ivo van Hove‘s stage adaptation of All About Eve. The play premiered on February 15th to strong reviews and ran at the Noel Coward Theatre in the West End until May 11th.
- In 2020, James played the second Mrs de Winter in Ben Wheatley‘s adaptation of Daphne du Maurier‘s Gothic romance Rebecca, co-starring Armie Hammer.
- In 2021, she starred as Peggy Piggott in The Dig, a British film directed by Simon Stone and based on John Preston‘s 2007 novel of the same name.
Awards and Achievements
Lily has received many awards from numerous nominations in various categories over the course of her career. Let’s have a look.
- In 2014 and 2015, Lily received a Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series for her work on Downton Abbey.
- In 2015, she received the Harper’s Bazaar Women of the Year Award for Breakthrough Performance for Cinderella.
- The actress also received People’s Choice Awards for Female Movie Star of 2018 for Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.
- Likewise, Satellite Awards for Best Actress in a Miniseries or TV Film for War and Peace in 2017.
- Whatsonstage.com Awards for Best Actress in a Play for Romeo and Juliet in 2017.
- And Kids Choice Awards for Favourite Movie Actress for Cinderella in 2016.
Personal Life| Who Is Lily James Dating?
In 2011, Lily James fell in love with the British actor, Jack Fox. The couple was spotted entering various events but unfortunately, their romance could not last forever and they ended up splitting in 2012.
The actress mostly chooses to keep her personal life private. But her fans found out that the actress is dating another British actor, Matt Smith.
The actress starred alongside her beloved guy in the 2015 film Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Furthermore, Lily played the main character in the film, Elizabeth Bennet. Mr. Collins has been played by Matt.
However, the lovebirds split up due to personal issues. In addition, it was reported in 2020 that she was romantically involved with American actor Chris Evans. However, none of them has spoken about it yet.
The actors sparked dating rumors in July 2020, when they were photographed together several times in London.
Net Worth | How Much Does Lily James Earn?
Lily James is a professional, talented, and very hard-working actress. As a result, Lily has most likely amassed a substantial sum of money and fame to date. Likewise, according to online sources, her current net worth is believed to be $4 million. Her compensation and savings are under the radar.
Social Media Presence | Is Lily James Active On Social Media?
Lily James has enjoyed a fruitful career in the entertainment industry, and as a result, she has a sizable social media following. Currently, the actress is only participating on one social media platform, Instagram.
Along with her official account, lily has a large number of fan clubs on other social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Let’s take a look at the actress’s fan.
Instagram – 2.9m followers
Interesting Facts About Lily James
- The Wrath of the Titans revealed that she is a massive fan of the English pop group, Spice Girls.
- In an interview with The Guardian, she states that she breaks out in a rash whenever she’s under stress or nervous.
- During an interview, James told Wonderland magazine that she was verbally abused by online trolls when she joined the cast of Downton Abbey in 2012.