Sergei Grinkov was a Russian figure skater. Grinkov was paired up with his wife, Ekaterina Gordeeva since he was fifteen. Sergei was the 1988 and 1994 Olympic Champion and a four-time World Champion in 1986, 1987, 1989, and 1990.
He began as a solo skater but was paired with his only spouse Ekaterina Gordeeva in 1982 since he was 15 years old. Since then, he and his partner gave many astounding performances at several international events.
Let us learn more about this talented, charismatic man and his journey to becoming one of the best skaters in the world, as well as his life, family, career, net worth, death, and social media presence. Let’s start with some quick facts.
Table of Contents
Some Quick facts about Sergei Grinkov
|Full Name||Sergei Mikhailovich Grinkov|
|Date of Birth||February 4, 1967|
|Father’s Name||Mikhail Kondrateyevich Grinkov|
|Mother’s Name||Anna Filipovna Grinkova|
|Sibling||Natalia Mikailovna Grinkova|
|Height||6 feet 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||81.0 kg (178 lbs.)|
|Body Measurements||Under Review|
|Shoe Size||Under Review|
|Dress Size||Under Review|
|Children||Daria Sergeyevna Gordeeva-Grinkov|
|Death||November 20, 1995|
|Cause of Death||Premature heart attack|
|Net Worth||$1 – $ 5 million|
|Social Media Presence||Under Review|
Bio and Early Life
Sergei Mikhailovich Grinkov was born to Mikhail Kondrateyevich Grinkov & Anna Filipovna Grinkova. He was grown up with his older sister Natalia Mikailovna Grinkova. His parents were police.
He first stepped onto the ice when he was five years old. Sergei’s coach decided to try him in pair skating because he was not a strong solo skater in August 1981.
At the age of fourteen, their coach paired up with ten-year-old Ekaterina Gordeeva, and since then, they are together and achieved so much in life.
How old was Steve during his death? Age body measurement
This talented man was born on February 4, 1967and was 28 years old during his death. He was very young when he died due to a heart attack. Therefore this Russian -born Skater falls under the sun sign Aquarius.
People born with this sign tend to have creative, progressive, and independent personalities, which tends to match Sergei’s personality. Sergei Grinkov stands tall at 6 feet which translates to 1.83 m, and weighs about 81.0 kg or 178 lbs.
His has a pair of dark brown eye and with the same hair color. There is no accurate information about Grinkov body statistics. If we get any information regarding it, we will get it updated.
Who did Sergei Marry? Personal Life and Relationship
In April 1991, he tied the knot Ekaterina Gordeeva. Even though the USSR did not acknowledge religious ceremonies, they held two ceremonies.
The judicial, state-approved marriage ceremony took place on April 20, and their ritual ceremony took place in the Russian Orthodox Church on April 20.
Gordeeva gave birth to a baby girl, Daria “Dasha” Sergeyevna Grinkova, on September 11, 1992, in Morristown, New Jersey.
His daughter Dasha also followed her parent’s footsteps, and she began skating seriously at the age of nine, appearing with her mother in several skating shows from 2003 to 2007. Still, she gave up competitive skating in 2007 to pursue other interests.
Career and Success
- Grinkov began skating at the age of five when he enrolled in the CSKA Children and Youth Sports School in Moscow. Grinkov’s coach decided to try him in pair skating because he was not a strong solo skater in August
- At the age of fourteen, he was paired with eleven-year-old Ekaterina Gordeeva at the Central Red Army Club (CSKA) in Moscow by Vladimir Zaharo.
- In 1985, they won the World Junior Championship in Colorado Springs, Colorado. They won the first of four World Figure Skating Championships the following year.
- They won gold at the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary, Alberta, the world champions for the second time.
- Grinkov became one of the Olympics’ youngest male figure skater champions, and They won their first World Professional Championship in 1991.
- The couple won every competition they participated in the world. In 1988, Grinkov and Gordeeva toured with “Starts on ice.”
- Gordeeva/Grinkov did take advantage of a one-time rule change in 1994 that allowed professional skaters to regain Olympic eligibility.
- They were the only reinstated skaters to win gold at the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway.
- Their most recent competition was the 1995 Challenge of Champions, held on January 7, 1995, in Tokyo, Japan, where they skated to Verdi’s “Requiem Mass.” They won with four perfect tens in their artistic score.
- In 1995 they appeared in Skates of Gold III in Albany, New York. That was their final public appearance together.
- Their collaboration came to an untimely end in November 1995, when Grinkov died of a heart attack while performing a performance.
- Gordeeva went on to pursue a singles skating career. She competed in professional skating contests and participated in skating-themed television programs.
- She also performed with Stars on Ice, a professional skating group created by Olympic gold winner Scott Hamilton. My Sergei: A Love Story is a book she co-wrote with E.M. Swift (1996).
How did Sergei Die? Death
Even though their tale was indeed a fairy tale, it does not have true happiness. On November 20, 1995, Sergei died of a heart attack on the practice ice, with his beloved Ekaterina by his side.
The reason for the death was clear. The doctors found out that Sergei’s coronary arteries were severely clogged to the state that the opening of the artery was close to the size of the pinhole. Poor blood pumping from that resulted in a heart attack and the untimely demise of the man.
Sergei passed away at the age of 28, and his family buried him in Moscow. Katia stated that she chose Moscow over a location closer to their Connecticut home because he deserved a Russian soul. The name of the cemetery was Vagan’Kovskoye cemetery and it was a huge farewell for the man.
Sergei Grinkov Legacy
It is believed that a legacy is created after someone lives for a long time. But that is not the truth. Sergei Grinkov left a legacy after their untimely demise at the age of 28. In his memory, the famous writer Anne E Hill wrote the book called They Died Too Young: Sergei Grinkov.
This always makes eyes wet and remember the great man. Moreover, the skater was featured in as one of the athletes in People Magazine’s book as Gone Too Soon. In like manner, the pair was placed in number four for Sports Illustrated”s 2009: Thrill List: Figure Skating.
Additionally, in 2007, Gordeeva was the headline for Skate For a Heart. This particular project focuses on raising awareness of heart disease for the skating periphery which was in honor of her partner Sergei. The heart must be heavy as Gordeeva’s appearance for the second season is for her late father. Identically the great man’s death also came through a heart attack.
Some of the achievements of Sergei
- Sergei won the gold medal in Geneva at the World Figure Skating Championships in 1986.
- In Cincinnati, he won the Gold medal at the World Figure Skating Championships of 1987.
- Gold medal at the Winter Olympics of 1988, held in Calgary.
- Sergei won a silver medal at the World Championships, held in Budapest in 1988.
- Grinkov bagged a gold medal at the World Figure Skating Championships of 1989, held in Paris.
- Sergei won the gold medal in 1990 in Halifax at the World Championship.
- Grinkov earned a gold medal in 1994 at the European Championships, held in Copenhagen.
- Bagged the gold medal at the 1994 Winter Olympics, held in Lillehammer.
The renowned Skater made a good living as a Figure Skater. His Olympic medal may measure his success.
Sergei Grinkov’s net worth or net income is believed to be between $1 million $5 million at the time of death. He earned his wealth from his primary profession as a figure skater.
Had he not died at the age of 28 there would have been more net worth on his side. Not only that more of the assets along with the modern lifestyle will be his friend. But dying young made him a hero who the world sees today as an inspiration to work hard and take care of the body.
Social Media Appearance
There were no social media platforms when he left the world on November 20, 1995. However, there is a legacy attached to remembering how great he was at a young age. There are also some fan accounts for him.
Some Frequently asked questions related to Sergei Grinkov
- How much is Ekaterina Gordeeva worth?
Ekaterina Gordeeva is a retired Russian figure skater with a 10 million dollar net worth.
- What is Daria Gordeeva doing now?
The daughter of Sergei and Ekaterina, Daria Gordeeva, is pursuing a career in the fashion industry.