Matt Lauer is a very well-known American television news anchor who previously co-hosted NBC’s ‘The Today Show.’ Matt is still regarded as among the most popular television presenters in the world.
He was also a regular contributor to Dateline NBC’s evening news magazine. Lauer co-hosted the inaugural ceremonies of numerous Olympic Games and anchored the yearly Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade with NBC.
In addition to becoming a speaker at Harvard University in 2009, he has appeared in a number of shows. And although he enjoyed one of the most prosperous careers at NBC, the sexual assault claims brought it all crashing down.
Table of Contents
Matt Lauer: Quick Facts
|Full Name||Matthew Todd Lauer|
|Date of Birth||30 December 1957|
|Birth Place||New York, United States|
|Age||64 years old|
|Father’s Name||Jay Robert Lauer|
|Mother’s Name||Marilyn Lauer|
|Sister/brother name||April Stone|
|Ethnicity||Will update soon|
|Body Measurements||Will update soon|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Body Type||Will update soon|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown|
|Shoe Size||11 US|
|Religion||Will update soon|
|Wife||Annette Roque (m. 1998–2019), Nancy Alspaugh (m. 1981–1988)|
|Children name||Romy Lauer, Jack Matthew Lauer, Thijs Lauer|
|Net Worth||$70 million|
|Salary||Will update soon|
|Social Media Presence||Not Available|
|Source of Wealth:||American television news anchor|
|Last Updated||Feb 2022|
Matthew Todd Lauer grew up in New York City. Jay Robert Lauer and Marilyn Lauer are his parents. His father was working for a bicycle firm as an executive. And his mother ran a boutique.
In 1997, Robert divorced Matt’s mother and died of cancer. At the moment of Robert’s death, he was 74 years old. April Stone is the sister of the former Today host. She was conceived in 1953 and is the mother of two children. Matt had an up and down childhood with ease.
After being employed by WOWK-TV in Huntington, West Virginia, he dropped out of Ohio University in 1979 to chase his television career. His first employment there was as a producer for the noon broadcast.
Moreover, he rose through the ranks to become an on-air reporter for the 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. newscasts by 1980. Lauer eventually went to Ohio University to finish his undergrad program, and at the age of 39, he finished in 1997. He went to the School of Media Arts and Scripps College of Communication while there.
Age, Height, and Body Measurements
Matthew, who was born on December 30, 1957, turns 64 years old. His sun sign is Capricorn. In terms of physique measurements, he stands at a wonderful height of 5 Feet 11 Inches (1.8m) and weighs 76 kg.
His hair is brown, and his eyes could be brown as well. His shoe number is 11, however, he hasn’t revealed his clothing size. According to the Today Show’s Discovering Our Roots, Lauer’s dad was of Romanian Jewish ancestry.
“My father was Jewish,” Lauer explained. My mother isn’t one of them. As a result, I wasn’t really raised in any way. Now I have a strong urge to find something meaningful. It has something to do with tying the knot and wanting to start a family.
- He co-hosted the syndicated television show “PM Magazine” in Richmond (1980-1981)
- He worked on the WNYW station’s “Made in New York” show, which lasted barely fifteen weeks.
- Lauer’s earliest national television exposure was as a co-host of ABC’s daytime series “Fame, Fortune, and Romance,” a turn of the prime time show “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous,” starring Robin Leach.
- He also served as an anchor for HBO’s entertainment news pieces occasionally.
- In September 1989, he went to New York City to anchor the WWOR-TV program “9 Broadcast Plaza,” but he did not stay long.
- He was engaged by the Kushner-Locke Company in 1990 to anchor a prototype called “Day in Court.”
- Lauer entered NBC in 1992 as co-anchor of “Today in New York,” a weekly morning news show that streamed on the network’s flagship station in New York, WNBC.
- He commenced co-hosting the noon news program “Live at Five” with Sue Simmons on a temporary basis in 1993, and he later took over the afternoon post permanently.
- In 1994, he quit his morning job. He was a part of “Live on Five” till 1996.
- During 1992 and 1993, he filled in for Margaret Larson as the newsreader on “The Today Show” when she was unavailable.
- This part-time job essentially functioned as his tryout for the show, and he was hired as a news anchor on “The Today Show” full-time in January 1994.
Awards and Accolades
- Matt Lauer got shortlisted for the TV Guide Award for ‘Favorite News Personality’ during the year 2000.
- In 2012, he was again considered for the People’s Choice Award.
- He was shortlisted for an Online Film and Television Association Award in 2007.
- Out of 8 award appearances, he earned 2 Emmy Awards for News & Documentary.
- He’s also the winner of 5 Daytime Emmy Awards from a total of thirteen nominations.
Matt Lauer Wife
Nancy Alspaugh, a TV producer, was the former journalist’s wife. The couple married in 1982, but their marriage ended abruptly in 1989. No children were born to Lauer and Nancy. He dated and married Kristen Gesswein almost immediately following the divorce. From 1989 through 1996, they were together.
He later married Annette Roque, a Dutch model. On a random date in July 1997, the two met for the first time. After 5 months of a relationship, he proposed to her.
On October 3, 1998, in Bridgehampton, they exchanged wedding vows. So far, the couple has three beautiful children, two boys, and one girl. On June 26, 2001, their first kid, Jack (son), was welcomed.
Romy (girl), the second child, was born on October 2, 2003. Thijs (son) was the last kid to be born on November 28, 2006. She filed for divorce in 2006, while she was expecting their third child. The foremost reason for the divorce, according to her: Abuse of the mind, Extensive mental and emotional anguish, Humiliation, and Torment Stress.
Roque revoked the divorce after the couple reconnected a few weeks later. However, in the aftermath of Lauer’s sexual assault allegations, the couple split up. On September 7, 2019, Lauer and Roque formalized their divorce.
After the divorce came through, Matt didn’t stop right there. This famous NBC reporter again came into the alleged relationship with Shamin Abas. To the readers unaware she is a marketing executive and their relationship stayed low and out of media eyes.
After an undisclosed lady NBC employee complained that Lauer had sexually assaulted her while the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, NBC News terminated Lauer’s employment in November 2017.
She further stated that the harassment continued when they returned to New York from their trip to Russia. In the days that followed, other allegations surfaced, and NBC eventually admitted to three more incidences that occurred between 2000 and 2007.
American writer Ronan Farrow cited many sources in his book Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators, published in 2019, in which he claimed that NBC News was informed of Lauer’s wrongdoing previously. Ronan Farrow and Lauer have a long-standing feud over the revelation.
Matt Lauer Net Worth and Salary
Mattew Lauer has an estimated net worth of $70 million as a former news presenter and TV broadcaster in the United States. He is best known for hosting “The Today Show” on NBC between 1997 to 2017.
In 2017, he was compelled to resign due to charges of sexual harassment. Matt was indeed the top person on television at the time of the scandal and subsequent divorce, with a net worth easily exceeding $120-$150 million. Lauer earned $28 million a year at his peak as presenter of “The Today Show.”
Matt spent several years dividing his days between a New York City apartment and a Hamptons home. His most recent New York apartment was purchased for $5.9 million in 2004. In 2018, he sold this home for $7.4 million.
On the beach in the Hamptons Matt is the proud owner of a variety of properties. In 2016, he sold a $3.6 million bay-facing home in Southampton. In the same year, he paid $36.5 million for just a two-home property in Sag Harbor.
Matt Lauer Instagram
Matt Lauer, who was dismissed by NBC a day ago, appears to have deactivated the whole of his social networking profiles and has been removed from those of his former employer.
The inactive Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook accounts of the humiliated morning-show host were soon noted by the online world today. Matthew Lauer has made a major on-camera return, but his comeback to television may not be what his supporters or detractors had hoped for.
Romy, the disgraced Today anchor’s daughter, shared two TikTok videos of her messing around by her famous father two years after he was fired from NBC due to sexual misconduct claims.
Interesting Facts about Matt Lauer
- Lauer has been part of Sharknado movies more as a guest actor rather than lead.
- Matt lost his job at NBC due to the sexual incident that came into his life.
- This NBC reporter made more than $2 million a month during his prime.
- Lauer is a fan of assets and owns multiple mansions all around the states.
Frequently Asked Question about Matt Lauer
- What is Matt Lauer doing these days?
After being fired from The Today, Lauer has decided to remain low and not share out his personal life.
- Are Savannah Guthrie and Matt Lauer still friends?
In an interview by Savannah, she confirmed that both of them are not in contact at the moment. Meanwhile, the sexual scandal broke their friendship.