Liza Minnelli is an American singer, dancer, and famous actor. The actress is quite well known for her live performances as well as her roles in movies.
She is one of the few artists who has traversed a wide range of diverse forms of art. Minnelli has also been awarded the Knight of the French Legion of Honour for her work in the field of art.
Minnelli has been actively working in the film industry for more than seven decades now. She still trains new upcoming dancers as well as choreographs for their performances.
Minnelli has won several awards for her work including Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony. She is one of the few artists to ever win all four forms of awards.
Her love of artistry comes from her parents being actively involved in the film industry. Let’s learn some quick facts about her life:
Some Quick Facts
|Full Name||Liza May Minelli|
|Date of Birth||March 12, 1946|
|Birth Place||LA, California|
|Age||75 years old|
|Father’s Name||Vincente Minnelli|
|Mother’s Name||Judy Garland|
|Height||5 ft 4 inches|
|Occupation||Actor and Musician|
|Net Worth||$50 million|
Liza Minnelli Age and Height
Born on the 12th of March in the year 1946, Liza Minnelli is 75 years of age as of writing. She started getting involved in the film industry from a very young age.
This actress made an appearance in the final scene of the movie The Good Old Summertime in 1949. Because of her parents’ familiarity with movies, she quickly understood the basics of acting and performance.
Talking about her physique, Liza Minnelli stands at a height of around 5 ft and 4 inches. The actress has smoky dark brown eyes and black-colored hair. She is not afraid of being flamboyant and often colors her hair in interesting colors.
Liza Minnelli Parents
Liza Minnelli was born in Beverly Boulevard in LA to Judy Garland and Vincente Minnelli. Her mother was an American actress, dancer, presenter as well as a vaudevillian.
She has worked in a large number of movies and has also won prestigious awards like Academy Juvenile Award, Golden Globe Award, and Special Tony Award. She was also active politically and was a member of the Democratic National Party.
Talking about her father, he was a director. Her father is known for his works like An American in Paris, The Band Wagon, Gigi, etc.
He is regarded as one of the best directors of all time. Most of his work was concentrated around theatre plays. During his later years, he suffered from Alzheimer’s disease and died of emphysema and pneumonia.
Liza Minnelli Early Life
Liza Minnelli was named after a song by Ira Gershwin. Speaking about her siblings, she has two half-sisters Lorna and Tina Nina as well as a half-brother named Joey.
During her early years, she often would stay in sets of theatre because of her mother’s work. Minnelli was passionate about acting and started performing in theatre plays at the young age of 17.
Liza completed her high school at Scarsdale High School. During her teenage years, she started performing in nightclubs as a singer.
Her work was praised and began performing in various cities. She also recorded several albums like Liza! Liza! There is a Time, and It Amazes Me. Her songs could be generalized to be of a particular form of traditional pop.
Liza Minnelli Movie and Music Career
- This reputed actress performed in a movie for the first time as a credited actor in Charlie Bubbles in 1967.
- She also voiced the character named Dorothy in the animated movie Journey Back to Oz. She later appeared in The Sterile Cuckoo in the character of a teenager.
- Her next movie Cabaret went on to become a big hit. It was appreciated both by the public as well as the critics.
- Her work in the movie helped her win many prestigious awards. It also gave her nationwide fame. The next three movies weren’t successful which resulted in decrement of her roles in movies. She did make a big comeback later from a movie named Arthur.
- In her musical career, she popularly collaborated with Petshop Boys on her album named Results.
- Some singles from her album like ‘Losing My Mind’, ‘Love Pains’, etc went to become Top 10 selling songs in the UK.
- She received a Grammy Legend Award for her music. Later in 2006. She released her album The Black parade which also went on to become a big hit. Her last album named Confessions was released in the year 2010.
Liza Minnelli Personal Life
Liza Minelli has married four times in her life. All four of her marriages ended in divorce for various reasons. Minelli’s first husband was artist Peter Allen.
They tied the knot in 1967 later getting divorced seven years later in 1974. Later the same year, she married Jack Haley who is an American director. This relationship ended in divorce the year 1979.
Her third marriage was with Mark Gero which was conceived in 1979 and ended thirteen years later in the year 1992. Her last marriage was with David Gest. They tied the knot in 2006.
It was reported that Gest accused Minnelli of beating him while drunk. Her fourth marriage also ended with divorce in the year 2007. She does not have any children of her own.
At different periods of time, she was addicted to alcohol as well as other prescription drugs. She also experimented with recreational drugs during the 70s.
Liza Minnelli Awards and Accolades
- Minelli received her first major award for her work in Cabaret as best actress at the Academy Awards.
- She later went on to receive Primetime Emmy Awards for her work in Liza with a Z.
- She also won the Tony Awards for her work in the movie The Act.
Liza Minelli Net Worth
Liza Minelli has a reported net worth of around $50 million. Most of her wealth comes from her work as an actor as well as some of the movies she has produced.
She received large amounts of money as salary pay for her work because of incredible stardom. Minelli has not publicly disclosed any of her business investments as of yet.
Instagram: 120k followers
Facts to know about Liza Minnelli
- Minelli is the only actor to win an Oscar award whose parents were also winners of the Oscar Award. This itself is an incredible feat of achievement.
- One of her songs named New York, New York would get played every time the Yankees would lose at the Yankee Stadium.
- It was predicted that she would not be able to walk or talk after she caught viral encephalitis. But thanks to doctors’ care, she soon recovered after a lot of therapy.
- Most of her time while growing up was spent in MGM studios. This was because both her parents worked late at the studio for their work.
- During the filming of Cabaret, she had an illicit affair with one of the music producers named Rex Kramer as per various online reports.
- Her first husband Peter Allen was actually gay and had hidden this information from her during their marriage.
Frequently Asked Questions About Liza Minelli:
- What Nationality is Liza Minelli?
Liza Minelli was born in America and has spent most of her life in America. She is an American citizen, needless to say, she carries American Citizenship.
- Is Liza Minelli ill?
Liza Minelli is currently healthy. But she has suffered from various diseases in the last several years. In the year 2000, she had viral encephalitis which risked her life but she fought back. She also had bad health in 2018 but recovered soon as per her personal doctors.
- Who is Liza Minnelli’s father?
Liza Minnelli’s father is Vincente Minelli. He is a musical director and has worked mostly in the direction of musicals as well as theatre plays. He has also won an Academy Award for his work.
- Did Liza Minelli go to college?
Liza Minnelli did not go to college. After the completion of her high school, she went to New York City’s High School of Performing Arts and Chadwick School where she learned acting.
- How old was Liza Minelli when she played in Cabaret?
Liza Minelli was just 19 years old when she played her role in Cabaret. After the completion of the movie, she also went on to win the Tony Award for Best Actress. This achievement made her the youngest performer to win the award.