Spike Lee is a film screenwriter, director, producer, actor, and professor from the United States. Since 1983, his production firm, 40 Acres and a Mule Filmworks has produced over 35 films. These movies have had a significant role in increasing Spike Lee net worth.
He has also directed movies, With She’s Gotta Have It, being his directing debut which was released in 1986. After that, he wrote and directed many films such as Do the Right Thing in 1989, Mo’ Better Blues in 1990.
His other endeavors include Jungle Fever in 1991, Malcolm X in 1992, Crooklyn in 1994, Clockers in 1995, 25th Hour in 2002, Inside Man in 2006, Chi-Raq in 2015, BlacKkKlansman in 2018, and Da 5 Bloods in 2020.
Lee has also appeared in 10 of his films as an actor. In addition to his work as a filmmaker and an actor, Lee is a tenured professor at New York University.
Іn this post, wе hаvе соmріlеd аll уоu nееd tо knоw аbоut Ѕріkе Lее’ѕ nеt wоrth іn 2021, hіѕ аgе, hеіght, wеіght, wіfе, kіdѕ, bіоgrарhу аnd соmрlеtе dеtаіlѕ аbоut hіѕ lіfе. Wеll, іf уоu’rе interested, continue reading.
Spike Lee: Quick Facts
|Full Name||Shelton Jackson Lee|
|Date of Birth||March 20, 1957|
|Birth Place||Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.|
|Age||64 years old|
|Father’s Name||William James Edward Lee III|
|Mother’s Name||Jacqueline Carroll|
|Height||5 feet 6 inches|
|Body Measurements||Under review|
|Hair Color||Dark brown|
|Shoe Size||9.5 (US)|
|Education||Degree in Masters of Fine Arts in cinema and television|
|Net Worth||$50 million|
|Social Media Presence|
Table of Contents
Spike Lee Net Worth | How Much Does Spike Lee Earn?
As per the latest reports of 2021, Spike Lee net worth is estimated to be a whopping $50 million. The majority of Lee’s fortune comes from his decades-long film career.
Spike Lee has also produced and directed several financially successful films like BlacKkKlansman and Inside Man. The creation of these movies is under his production firm, 40 Acres and a Mule Filmworks. The movies grossed $93 million and $186 million, respectively, significantly increasing Spike Lee’s net worth.
Lee has also been named one of the world’s highest-paid directors for multiple years. In 1992, he was paid $3 million to direct Malcolm X. Also, for films like 25th Hour, Love & Basketball, and Summer of Sam, one may conclude that he got at least $3.5 million in pay.
Spike Lee’s net worth is a boost through television projects and commercials in addition to directing. He has worked with some high-end brands that have paid him substantially.
Levis engaged Lee in the mid-1990s to direct a series of television ads promoting the company’s 501 button-fly jeans. In addition, he has directed television advertisements for Nike, Converse, Taco Bell, Ben & Jerry’s, and Jaguar.
The entire of Spike Lee’s net worth has also benefited from his teaching career. Lee began teaching a filmmaking course at Harvard in 1991. He also started teaching at the Tisch School of the Arts graduate film program in 1993.
Spike Lee Bio | Education And Early Life
Spike Lee, previously known as Shelton Jackson Lee on March 20, 1957, in Atlanta, Georgia. His mother, Jacqueline Carroll, was a teacher of arts and black literature. William James Edward Lee III, his father, was a jazz performer and composer. Joie, David, and Cinque are his three younger siblings.
When he was a little child, his mother gave him the nickname Spike. Later he adopted his nickname as his stage name and became Spike Lee.
Shortly after, His entire family relocated to Brooklyn, New York. Spike went to John Dewey High School in Brooklyn. Lee, who grew up in a middle-class African-American family, started creating amateur films by 20. When he was a student at Morehouse College, he finished his first student film, Last Hustle in Brooklyn.
Then Lee earned a degree in Masters of Fine Arts in cinema and television from New York University’s Film School in 1982. His thesis film, Joe’s Bed-Stuy Barbershop: We Cut Heads, earned him a Student Academy Award.
Age And Body Measurements
The producer-director, Spike Lee, is 64 years old as of June 2021, having been born on March 20, 1957. Spike stands at the height of 5 feet 6 inches and 168 cm in centimeters. And the producer weighs around 149 lbs in pounds which equals 68 kilograms.
1985 – 1997
- In 1985, Spike Lee began production on his debut feature picture; She’s Gotta Have It. He had a budget of $175,000 and shot the entire film in two weeks.
- When it was released in 1986, the film made more than $7 million at the box office in the United States. This movie was very well received and played a huge role in establishing Lee’s career in the movies.
- In 1989, Lee’s groundbreaking film, Do the Right Thing released, which was based on a Brooklyn neighborhood’s simmering racial tension on a hot July day.
- Mo’ Better Blues, his third picture, was released in 1990.
- In like manner, Spike Lee’s biographical epic film Malcolm X, based on Malcolm X’s Autobiography, was released in 1992. The movie starred Denzel Washington.
- In 1997, he published the documentary 4 Little Girls. The movie was about the girls killed in the 1963bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama.
- Lee directed the movie, 25th Hour in 2002, starring Edward Norton and Philip Seymour Hoffman. The movie gained good reviews and has been considered as one of the finest films of its decade by various critics.
- Inside Man, directed by Lee in 2006, starred Denzel Washington, Jodie Foster, Clive Owen, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Willem Dafoe, and Christopher Plummer.
- Lee’s 2018film BlacKkKlansman is a true-crime thriller set in the 1970s that tells the actual story of Ron Stallworth, a black police officer. The movie premiered at the 2018 Cannes Film Festival. It also received the Grand Prix and was released in August of the following year.
- Da 5 Bloods, Spike’s Vietnam War film, released on Netflix. Delroy Lindo, Jonathan Majors, Clarke Peters, Isiah Whitlock Jr., Mélanie Thierry, Paul Walter Hauser, and Chadwick Boseman appeared in the film. On June 12, 2020, the film hit theatres globally.
- Apart from her movie career, Spike started teaching filmmaking courses at Harvard in1991.
- He also began teaching at New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts in the graduate film program in 1993. He is a tenured professor at New York University.
- Lee has also directed commercials for Converse, Jaguar, Taco Bell, and Ben & Jerry’sthrough the marketing section of his production company.
- Lee came on board with Levis in the mid-1990s to direct a series of TV ads for its 501 button-fly jeans.
- Nike marketing executives approached Lee and offered him a position directing ads for the corporation. They intended to use Lee’s character, Mars Blackmon, who idolized athlete Michael Jordan, in a marketing campaign for the Air Jordan brand.
Awards and Accolades
- Lee received the Student Academy Award in 1983 for his film Joe’s Bed-Stuy Barbershop: We Cut Heads.
- He has also received nominations for Love and Basketball at the Black Reel Awards.
- Spike was also nominated for Inside Man at the Black Movie Awards and Get on the Bus at the Berlin International Film Festival.
- Lee received the San Francisco Film Society’s Directing Award in May 2007,
- Spike was also nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay for Do the Right Thing. He was also nominated for Best Documentary for 4 Little Girls. However, Lee did not win either.
- Similarly, he received the Academy Honorary Award in November 2015 for his services to cinema. Lee became the youngest person ever to win the award at the age of
- For BlacKkKlansman, he received a BAFTAAward for Best Adapted Screenplay.
- Furthermore, the movie also received six Academy Award nominations in 2019. The three nominations for the Academy Award: Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Adapted Screenplay is commendable.
From August 1990 to December 1991, there were strong rumors that Spike was in a relationship with model Veronica Webb. However, that relationship could not last, and the couple ended up splitting.
Spike Lee met Tonya Lewis, an attorney, in 1992. A year later, they married in New York. Satchel, their daughter, was born in 1994, and Jackson, their boy, was born in 1997.
Social Media Presence | Is Spike Lee Active On Social Media?
Spike Lee spends a lot of time on social media. He has a big fan following on social media due to the huge popularity of his films. He is currently active on only one social media platform – Instagram.
Often he shares his thoughts and his vacation pictures on social media. Besides his official account, there are also tons of fan pages about the director. Let’s have a look at her number of followers.
Instagram – 2 million followers
Interesting Facts About Spike Lee
- He created the production company 40 Acres and A Mule Filmworks in New York City, New York, in 1978. The title “40 Acres and a Mule Filmworks” was inspired by an unfulfilled promise to free slaves by politicians following the Civil War’s ending.
- She’s Gotta Have It, his first feature-length picture, was funded by his grandmother, Zimmie Shelton.
- He ranking previously stands at 48th best director of all time by Entertainment Weekly.
- After seeing the 1978 released film, The Deer Hunter, he was inspired to become a director.
- He also served as a jury member at the Venice Film Festival in 2004.
- Likewise, Spike Lee’s net worth is approximately $50million, making him one of the richest directors.
- He regularly teamed with producer/director Monty Ross, a Morehouse College classmate in Atlanta, Georgia, USA.