Joe Pesci is an American musician and actor who started working professionally during the early 60s. Pesci is an award-winning actor known for his work in all-time favorite movies.
His first experience in the entertainment industry was from a radio station where he worked. Before becoming a popular movie star, Pesci had many different jobs, including that of a barber.
Pesci’s career is still remembered to be one of the greatest. He is also regarded as one of the greatest actors who ever lived. This man has now mostly retired from the world of cinema, is seen on rare occasions.
His work with actor Robert De Niro and director Martin Scorsese is regarded as one of the best in his career. He recently starred in a crime thriller movie named The Irishman, directed by Martin Scorsese.
Let’s learn some quick facts about Joe Pesci;
Some Quick Facts
|Full Name||Joseph Frank Pesci|
|Date of Birth||February 9, 1943|
|Birth Place||Newark, New Jersey|
|Age||78 years old|
|Father’s Name||Angelo Pesci|
|Height||5 ft 3 inches|
|Occupation||Actor and Musician|
|Net Worth||$50 million|
Joe Pesci Age and Height
This Goodfellas actor was born on the 9th of February in the year 1943 and is 78 years of age as of writing. This handsome man stands at a height of around 5 ft and 3 inches.
The actor has deep blue eyes and dark black hair. He is known for the serious gaze he often gives in intense or romantic moments while acting.
Joe Pesci Wiki and Early Life
Joe Pesci was born in New Jersey to Maria and Angelo Pesci. His father was a forklift driver working at General Motors, whereas his mother worked as a part-time barber.
The actor is of Italian origin. Joe lived most of his early years in New Jersey and graduated from Belleville High School.
From a young age, Pesci actively appeared in various theatre plays. This experience laid the foundation of his future career in acting.
He was also a regular in a tv show named Startime Kids, which starred Connie Francis. But he soon started working as a part-time barber to meet his everyday needs.
At the same time, Joe also began playing guitar in various bands. He even released an album named Little Joe Sure Can Sing!.
Joe Pesci Acting Career
- The actor started working at the young age of 18 and has been in the film industry for more than six decades now.
- His first role was that of a dancer in Hey, Let’s Twist in 1961. Unfortunately, this role of his still remains uncredited.
- Because of his impressive performance in The Death Collector, Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro asked him to act in their next movie Raging Bull. His role in Raging Bull as Joey LaMotta skyrocketed his acting career to new heights.
- He then went on to work in other movies like I’m Dancing as Fast as I Can, Dear Mr. Wonderful, Eureka, Easy Money, to name a few.
- He also starred in Michael Jackson‘s music video Smooth Criminal where he played the character of a crime boss. During this period, Joe also starred in a tv-series named Half Nelson.
- After acting in several big-budget successful movies, Joe Pesci announced his retirement from the acting world in 1999. The reason for the announcement was the fact that he wanted to pursue his passion for music.
Joe Pesci Music and Later Years
- He released his second album in the year 1998 named LaGuardia Gambini sings Just for You. The album contained songs of various genres like jazz, rap, and as well as humorous aspects of music.
- A single named “Wise Guy” from the album gained quite a buzz for its gangsta theme. It had many references to Mafia Gangsterism.
- Pesci came back on the big screen with his reprisal in the crime film The Irishman. Martin Scorsese approached him to play the role of a character named Robert Buffalo.
- He worked alongside other legendary actors like Robert De Niro and Al Pacino. Even more, Pesci released his third album named Pesci… Still Singing in the year 2019.
Pesci has remained chiefly away from unwanted media attention. He likes to keep his private life to himself and doesn’t discuss it much on camera.
This briliant man is currently not in a relationship but has been married three times, all ending in divorce. Pesci’s first marriage was finalized in 1964.
The reason for the divorce from his first wife is not known. He was married to actress Claudia Hero between 1988 and 1992. Claudia Haro is an American actress and has starred in movies like Jimmy Hollywood, Marty In With Honors, etc.
Pesci got engaged to actress Angie Everhart in 2007 but broke up only a year later. The actor has one daughter named Tiffany from his first relationship.
Awards and Accolades
- Joe Pesci has received a large list of awards in his career. As per reports, Pesci has reportedly received a total of 33 wins and around 63 nominations.
- He received his first-ever award in the year 1980, which was for Best Supporting Actor in the movie Raging Bull. He also received British Film Academy Awards for his role in the same movie.
- Joe has received an Academy Award for Best Supporting Role in the film Goodfellas. For his comeback in Irishman, Joe Pesci received wide critical acclaim.
- Pesci was also nominated for his role in the movie at the Screen Actors Guild Awards as well as Golden Globe Awards but failed to win both. He received London Critics Circle Film Awards in the year 2020 for his role in the Irishman.
Joe Pesci Net Worth
This 78 years old actor has a net worth of around $50 million as per online reports.
Most of his wealth is from roles he had in movies as well as from his album sales. There isn’t any verifiable information of any of his investments or business.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why did Joe Pesci retire from acting?
Joe Pesci announced his retirement because he wanted to work on his musical career. Pesci was passionate about music from his teenage years and felt he lost it because of his acting career. He did make a comeback in acting from The Irishman by Martin Scorsese.
- Are Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci friends?
Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci are indeed friends. They have known each other for decades and have worked together in several movies. Joe Pesci even saluted De Niro during one of his speeches at an award show.
- Is Joe Pesci American?
Joe Pesci is indeed American. This actor was born in New Jersey and lived all his life in America. Needless to say, he has American Citizenship.
- Where does Joe Pesci live right now?
Joe Pesci currently lives in Newark, where he was born. During his peak acting career, he did remain mostly away from his home for work.
- Does Joe Pesci have a temper?
While working on one of his characters, he gained a certain kind of temper. He has even gone on to say that because of his temper, he had to leave many situations to not make chaos.
- While working in the movie Raging Bull, Robert De Niro broke Pesci’s rip in an accident while filming an action sequence. The scene was even kept in the movie.
- Pesci reportedly gained around thirty pounds for his role in the movie The Teflon Don. Because of his dissatisfaction, he went on to sue $3 million to the producers of the film.
- Pesci reportedly refused to play any role in The Irishman nearly 40 times before agreeing to do so. Scorsese could not persuade Pesci but was actually persuaded by Robert De Niro to play the part.
- For his acceptance speech for the Academy Award in the year 1991, he just said the phrase, “It’s my privilege, thank you,” and just walked off the stage. It is one of the shortest acceptance speeches in history.
- One of the scenes in Goodfellas, popularly known as “Funny How?” was inspired by a real-life experience of Joe Pesci while working as a waiter.
- One interesting thing he does is that he regularly calls his mother while working in the sets of movies he is in.