Simu Liu is a Chinese-born Canadian actor, writer, producer, and stuntman. He rose to fame for his role as Jung Kim on the CBC sitcom Kim’s Convenience and became a global sensation for his role as Shang-Chi, the first Asian superhero in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Simu Liu is also an advocate for diversity and representation in the media and a philanthropist who supports various causes. In this blog, we will explore his biography, personal life, net worth, movies, and more.
Table of Contents
Quick Facts: Simu Liu
|Date of Birth
|April 19, 1989
|34 (as of 2023)
|6 ft or 183 cm
|79 kg or 174 lbs
|$4 million as of 2023
|University of Western Ontario (BBA in Finance and Accounting)
|Social Media Presence
|Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube
Simu Liu was born in China. He moved to Canada with his parents when he was five months old and grew up in Mississauga, Ontario. He studied business administration at the University of Western Ontario and worked as an accountant before pursuing a career in acting and stunt work. He made his film debut in 2013 and has since appeared in more than 40 movies and TV shows.
Age | Simu Liu
Simu Liu is 34 years old. He celebrates his birthday on April 19 every year. He was born in born on April 19, 1989, in Harbin, China, under the zodiac sign of Aries. He has a tattoo of a star on his back, which represents his birth sign. He is fluent in English and Mandarin and also speaks some French.
Simu Liu stands at 6 feet (183 cm) tall. He has a muscular build and weighs around 79 kg (174 lbs). He has black hair and brown eyes and often sports a stubble or a beard. He is known for his handsome features and charming smile. He trains extensively in martial arts and stunt work to maintain his physique and skills.
Simu Liu attended the University of Toronto Schools, a prestigious private school in Toronto. He excelled academically and was involved in various extracurricular activities, such as theater, music, and sports.
He then enrolled at the Ivey Business School at the University of Western Ontario, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in business administration. Simu Liu worked as an accountant at Deloitte for nine months before being laid off and deciding to pursue acting instead.
Simu Liu’s Net Worth
Simu Liu has a net worth of $4 million as of 2023. He earns most of his income from his TV and movie appearances, as well as endorsements and sponsorships. Simu Liu is best known for his roles as Shang-Chi in the Marvel Cinematic Universe film Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and Jung Kim in the CBC Television sitcom Kim’s Convenience.
He also received nominations at the ACTRA Awards and Canadian Screen Awards for his work in Blood and Water4. Some of his other notable works include Taken, Orphan Black, Fresh Off the Boat, The Expanse, and Wednesday.
Simu Liu was born on April 19, 1989, in Harbin, China. He moved to Canada with his parents when he was five years old and grew up in Mississauga, Ontario. He studied business administration at the University of Western Ontario and worked as an accountant before pursuing a career as an actor and stuntman.
Simu Liu was raised by his grandparents in Harbin, China until he was five years old. He had a happy childhood there but faced culture shock and parental pressure when he moved to Canada with his parents, who were both engineers.
He attended the University of Toronto Schools for high school and excelled in math and science. Simu Liu later graduated from the Ivey Business School at the University of Western Ontario with honors in 2011.
Career Beginnings | Simu Liu
Simu Liu began his acting career as an extra and stuntman, appearing in movies and music videos such as Pacific Rim and Avicii’s “I Could Be The One”. He landed his first TV role as Annie in the CBS sitcom Rob in 2012.
He also appeared in guest roles on shows like CSI: NY, Iron Man 3, Rake, and Deadtime Stories. Simu Liu’s breakthrough role came in 2014 when he was cast as Young Jane in the critically acclaimed CW series Jane the Virgin.
Simu Liu | Personal Life
Simu Liu is currently in a relationship with Allison Hsu, who is the digital marketing manager at Interscope Records. They made their first red carpet-appearance at the Violent Night premiere in November 2022. He was previously linked to actress Jade Bender, but they broke up in September 2022.
Simu Liu’s parents are Zhenning and Zheng Liu. They met while attending university in Beijing, where they both studied engineering. His father went to the United States to study for a Ph.D. while his mother worked in Beijing.
They later emigrated to Canada with their son and became successful aerospace engineers. They had high expectations for their son and pushed him to excel academically. They also had a strained relationship with him when he chose to pursue acting, but they eventually reconciled and became closer.
Girlfriend | Simu Liu
Simu Liu’s girlfriend is Allison Hsu, who is the digital marketing manager at Interscope Records. She is responsible for overseeing campaigns for artists like Billie Eilish, Selena Gomez, Lady Gaga, Kendrick Lamar, and Lana Del Rey.
She is also a fan of Marvel movies and comics. She and Liu started dating in late 2022 and have been inseparable since then. They often post cute photos and videos of their relationship on Instagram.
Relationship | Simu Liu
Simu Liu has not confirmed any romantic relationship publicly before dating Allison Hsu. However, he has been linked to several co-stars and celebrities in the past.
Some of them are Jade Bender, Tina Jung, Olivia Rodrigo, Maddie Ziegler, Niles Fitch, and Shailene Woodley. Simu Liu has also been rumored to be gay or bisexual by some fans and media outlets, but he has never addressed these speculations.
The present life of Simu Liu
Simu Liu is currently living in Los Angeles, California with his girlfriend Allison Hsu. He is enjoying his success as an actor and is working on several projects.
He is also an advocate for social causes such as mental health awareness, animal rights, anti-bullying, and Asian representation. Simu Liu is active on social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, and Snapchat.
Movies and TV Shows | Simu Liu
Simu Liu has appeared in several movies, both in supporting and leading roles. Liu’s breakout role as the titular character showcased his martial arts skills and led the Marvel Cinematic Universe film. He also gained fame as Jung Kim in this sitcom, portraying the son of a Korean-Canadian family, earning widespread acclaim for his performance.
Simu Liu has appeared in several movies, both in supporting and leading roles. Some of his notable movies are:
- “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” (2021): Portrayed Shang-Chi, the lead role in this Marvel film, marking a significant breakthrough.
- “Women Is Losers” (2021): Played Barry, a charming but unreliable boyfriend in this comedy-drama set in 1960s San Francisco.
- “One True Loves” (2023): Played Sam, one of the love interests in this romantic comedy based on Taylor Jenkins Reid’s novel.
- “Barbie” (2023): Takes on a role as one of the versions of Ken in this live-action film based on the popular doll franchise by Mattel.
Simu Liu has also starred in various TV shows, mostly in Canadian productions. Some of his notable TV shows are:
- “Kim’s Convenience” (2016-2021): Starred as Jung Kim, the estranged son of a Korean Canadian family running a convenience store.
- “Blood and Water” (2015-2017): Played Paul Xie, a wealthy businessman involved in illegal activities in this crime drama series.
- “The Expanse” (2015-2022): Portrayed Lt. Paolo Mayer, a Martian marine, in this sci-fi series set in a future where humanity has colonized the solar system.
- “Fresh Off the Boat” (2015-2020): Appeared as Willie, an employee at an electronics store, in this sitcom depicting the experiences of a Taiwanese American family in the 1990s.
Awards and Achievements
Simu Liu has won several awards and nominations for his work as an actor, stuntman, and author. Some of his most important career awards and accomplishments are:
- ACTRA Awards (2017): Won Outstanding Performance for “Kim’s Convenience.”
- People’s Choice Awards (2021): Won Action Movie Star of 2021 for “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.”
- Unforgettable Gala – Asian-American Awards: Won Breakout Actor on Film for “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.”
- Variety’s Top 500 Entertainment Business Leaders (2021): Recognized as one of the top 500 entertainment business leaders.
- Time Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People (2022): Named one of the 100 most influential people in the “Artists” section.
- Authorship: Authored the memoir “We Were Dreamers,” published in 2022.
5 Most Interesting Facts About Simu Liu
5 Most Interesting Facts About Simu Liu:
- Twitter Success to Shang-Chi: Got the role of Shang-Chi by tweeting Marvel Studios, advocating for an Asian-American superhero role.
- Martial Arts Novice to Shang-Chi: Had limited kung fu experience, had to train extensively for the role in “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.”
- Cultural Journey from China to Canada: Born in Harbin, China, moved to Canada at a young age, and faced challenges due to cultural differences and parental expectations.
- Accountant Turned Actor: Started as an accountant but transitioned to acting after being fired and falling in love with the craft.
- Linguistic and Multitalented: Fluent in English, Mandarin, and French, with additional proficiency in Cantonese and Korean. Holds a business administration degree and is a skilled dancer.
Impact and Legacy | Simu Liu
Simu Liu’s Impact and Contributions:
- Breaking Marvel Barriers: First Asian lead in Marvel Cinematic Universe, redefining Asian representation with authentic and praised portrayal of Shang-Chi.
- Diversity Advocate in Barbie: Breaking more ground by portraying Ken in Barbie, contributing to diversity in the film alongside a stellar cast.
- Advocacy Against Racism and Discrimination: Using his platform to speak out against racism, discrimination, and stereotypes faced by Asians, while supporting various causes including mental health awareness and Asian representation.
- Inspiring Future Generations: Inspiring young Asians to pursue their dreams, advocating for diversity and inclusion in the entertainment industry, and being recognized as a role model and leader.
He has made substantial contributions, breaking barriers and advocating for a more inclusive and representative entertainment industry.
Legal Issues | Controversy | Simu Liu
Simu Liu’s Legal Issues and Controversies:
- Racially Insensitive Comments (2018): Accused of making racially insensitive comments about dating white women on Twitter, later apologized for the remarks.
- Lawsuit Against Talent Agency (2019): Filed a lawsuit against his former talent agency over alleged withheld payments related to his work on “Kim’s Convenience,” settled out of court in 2020.
- Controversial Reddit Posts (2021): Faced criticism for alleged sexist, homophobic, and Islamophobic remarks in 2015 Reddit posts under a linked username. Made a statement acknowledging personal growth and learning from past mistakes.
- Publicly Shaming on TikTok (2021): Criticized for publicly shaming two young women on TikTok, mocking their comments about his acting abilities. Deleted the post and issued an apology for his behavior.
Frequently Asked Questions | Simu Liu
What is Simu Liu‘s Net Worth?
Simu Liu has a net worth of $4 million as of 2023.
What is Simu Liu‘s Height?
Simu Liu stands at 6 feet (183 cm) tall.
What is Simu Liu‘s Age?
Simu Liu is 34 years old. He celebrates his birthday on April 19 every year. He was born in born on April 19, 1989, in Harbin, China
Who is Simu Liu‘s Girlfriend?
Simu Liu is currently living in Los Angeles, California with his girlfriend Allison Hsu.
Simu Liu is a talented and versatile actor who has made history as the first Asian lead in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He is also an advocate for Asian representation and social causes, as well as an author and a dancer.
Simu Liu has faced some challenges and controversies in his career, but he has also overcome them and learned from them. He has inspired many people with his story and his achievements, and he continues to pursue his passion and dreams in the entertainment industry.