Joel McHale is a versatile and talented entertainer who has made a name for himself in the fields of comedy, acting and hosting. He is best known for his roles in the sitcom Community, the satirical show The Soup and the game show Card Sharks. Joel McHale has also appeared in several films, such as Ted, The Informant! and The Happytime Murders. In this article, we will explore his life, career, achievements, controversies and more.
|Full Name||Joel Edward McHale|
|Birthdate||20 November 1971|
|Birthplace||Rome, Italy (raised in Seattle, Washington, USA)|
|Occupation||Actor, Comedian, Television Host, Writer, Producer|
|Notable TV Roles||Jeff Winger in “Community”, Host of “The Soup”|
|Notable Film Roles||“Ted”, “Spy Kids: All the Time in the World”, “Blended”|
|Awards||Several nominations, primarily for his role in “Community” and hosting “The Soup”|
|Education||Graduated with a Master of Fine Arts degree from the University of Washington’s Actor’s Training Program|
|Career Start||Late 1990s, with roles in local theater, comedy, and television|
|Net Worth||As of 2023, estimated to be around $14 million|
|Social Media||Instagram: (@joelmchale)|
Table of Contents
Joel Edward McHale was born on November 20, 1971, in Rome, Italy. His father, Jack McHale, was an American who worked as the dean of students at Loyola University’s Rome Center. His mother, Laurie McHale (née Jackson), was a Canadian who had Norwegian, Finnish and English ancestry. Joel has two brothers, Christopher and Stephen.
Joel McHale spent his childhood in various places, such as Haddonfield, New Jersey; Chicago, Illinois; and Mercer Island, Washington. He attended Mercer Island High School, where he played soccer and football. He graduated in 1989.
Joel McHale then enrolled at the University of Washington, where he majored in history and was a walk-on tight end for the Husky football team. He also joined the Theta Chi fraternity but left it because he “couldn’t stand it.” He graduated in 1995 with a bachelor’s degree in history.
Joel McHale continued his education at the University of Washington’s Professional Actors Training Program, where he earned a master of fine arts degree in acting. He also became a member of the improv comedy group Unexpected Productions and performed at the Market Theater in downtown Seattle.
According to Celebrity Net Worth1, Joel McHale has an estimated net worth of $14 million as of 2023. He earns most of his income from his acting and hosting gigs, as well as his stand-up comedy shows. He reportedly received $60,000 per episode for hosting The Soup1 and $100,000 per episode for starring in Community2.
Joel McHale is a tall man who stands at 6 feet 4 inches (1.93 meters) tall. He has a slim build and weighs about 187 pounds (85 kilograms). He has brown hair and blue eyes.
Joel McHale is 51 years old as of November 20, 2023. He was born in 1971 in Rome, Italy.
Joel McHale began his career as a comedian and actor in the late 1990s. He appeared in several TV shows, such as Bill Nye the Science Guy, The Huntress, The Fugitive and Will & Grace. He also had small roles in movies like Spider-Man 2, The Onion Movie and Lords of Dogtown.
Joel McHale rose to fame in 2004 when he became the host of The Soup on E! Entertainment Television. The show featured him making sarcastic and witty comments on various clips from reality TV shows, celebrity news and pop culture. He also served as a writer and executive producer for the show, which ran for 11 seasons and 618 episodes until 2015.
In 2009, Joel McHale landed his breakthrough role as Jeff Winger on the NBC sitcom Community. The show followed a group of misfit students at a community college who formed a study group. McHale played a former lawyer who was disbarred for faking his degree and enrolled at Greendale Community College to earn a legitimate one. He also became the leader and love interest of the study group.
The show was critically acclaimed for its meta-humor, pop culture references and genre parodies. It also developed a cult following among fans who called themselves “Human Beings.” The show lasted for six seasons and 110 episodes until 2015.
Since then, McHale has continued to work on various projects in film and television. Some of his notable roles include:
- Rex in Ted (2012), a live-action comedy film about a man (Mark Wahlberg) whose childhood wish for his teddy bear (voiced by Seth MacFarlane) to come to life came true.
- Bob Wilton in The Informant! (2009), a biographical comedy film directed by Steven Soderbergh about a corporate whistleblower (Matt Damon) who exposed a price-fixing conspiracy.
- Agent Campbell in Spy Kids: All the Time in the World (2011), an action comedy film directed by Robert Rodriguez about a retired spy (Jessica Alba) who returns to action with her stepchildren.
- Jack Gordon in The Great Indoors (2016-2017), a CBS sitcom about an adventure reporter (McHale) who becomes the boss of a group of millennials at an outdoor magazine.
- Starman / Sylvester Pemberton in Stargirl (2020-2022), a DC Comics superhero series about a teenage girl (Brec Bassinger) who inherits a cosmic staff and becomes a superhero.
- Host of Card Sharks (2019-2021), a revival of the classic game show where contestants try to guess whether the next card is higher or lower than the previous one.
- Agent Campbell in The Happytime Murders (2018), an action comedy film directed by Brian Henson about a puppet detective (voiced by Bill Barretta) who teams up with a human cop (Melissa McCarthy) to solve a series of murders involving puppets.
- Johnny Cage in Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion’s Revenge (2020) and Mortal Kombat Legends: Battle of the Realms (2021), animated films based on the popular video game franchise.
- Host of The Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale (2018), a Netflix comedy series that featured him interviewing celebrities, making jokes and showing clips from TV shows and movies.
- Host of Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness – The Tiger King and I (2020), a Netflix special that featured him interviewing some of the subjects from the hit documentary series about the rivalry between exotic animal owners.
Joel McHale is married to Sarah Williams, an artist and spiritual director. They met in 1995 and got married on July 20, 1996. They have two sons together: Edward Roy McHale, born in 2005, and Isaac Hayden McHale, born in 2008. Edward underwent open heart surgery when he was two months old but made a full recovery.
Joel McHale and Williams have been together for over 25 years and have a strong and loving relationship. They often share sweet messages and photos of each other on social media. They also support various charitable causes, such as Feeding America and the Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
Social Media Presence
Joel McHale is active on social media platforms, where he interacts with his fans and shares updates, behind-the-scenes moments and entertaining content. Joel McHale has over 2 million followers on Instagram3, over 4 million followers on Twitter4 and over 400,000 followers on Facebook3. He also has a YouTube channel5 where he posts clips from his shows and interviews.
Joel McHale’s wife is Sarah Williams, an artist and spiritual director. She was born on August 10, 1970, in Washington DC, United States. She graduated from the University of Washington with a degree in psychology. She is also a published author of “The Old Astronomer,” also known as “The Old Astronomer to His Pupil.”
Williams creates mixed media collages and shares them on her Instagram account6. She also offers spiritual direction services to help people connect with their inner wisdom and divine guidance. She describes herself as “a lover of beauty, creativity, spirituality, nature, animals, books, music, laughter and joy.”
Williams is not only a dedicated artist but also a devoted wife and mother. She supports her husband’s career and often accompanies him to events and premieres. She also takes care of their two sons and their dogs. She is proud of her family and frequently posts about them on social media.
Movies and TV Shows
- Joel McHale has appeared in numerous movies and TV shows throughout Joel McHale’s career. Here are some of his most notable works:
- Community (2009-2015), a sitcom where he played Jeff Winger, a former lawyer who enrolled at a community college and formed a study group with other misfit students.
- The Soup (2004-2015), a satirical show where he hosted and commented on various clips from reality TV shows, celebrity news and pop culture.
- Ted (2012), a comedy film where he played Rex, the sleazy boss of Mila Kunis’ character who had a crush on her.
The Informant! (2009), a biographical film where he played Bob Wilton, an FBI agent who worked with a corporate whistleblower (Matt Damon) who exposed a price-fixing conspiracy.
- Spy Kids: All the Time in the World (2011), an action film where he played Agent Campbell, a spy-hunting reporter who was married to Jessica Alba’s character, the stepmother of his children.
- The Great Indoors (2016-2017), a sitcom where he played Jack Gordon, an adventure reporter who became the boss of a group of millennials at an outdoor magazine.
- Card Sharks (2019-2021), a game show where he hosted and asked contestants to guess whether the next card was higher or lower than the previous one.
- Stargirl (2020-2022), a superhero series where he played Starman / Sylvester Pemberton, a former member of the Justice Society of America who passed.
- The Happytime Murders (2018), a comedy film where he played Agent Campbell, an FBI agent who investigated a series of murders involving puppets.
- Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion’s Revenge (2020) and Mortal Kombat Legends: Battle of the Realms (2021), animated films where he voiced Johnny Cage, a Hollywood actor and martial artist who participated in a deadly tournament.
- The Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale (2018), a comedy series where he hosted and interviewed celebrities, made jokes and showed clips from TV shows and movies.
- Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness – The Tiger King and I (2020), a special where he hosted and interviewed some of the subjects from the hit documentary series about the rivalry between exotic animal owners.
- In 2007, Joel McHale made a joke about Ryan Seacrest’s sexuality on The Soup, which prompted Seacrest to confront him on the red carpet of the Golden Globe Awards. The two later reconciled and became friends.
- In 2010, Joel McHale was sued by Richard Simmons for defamation, invasion of privacy and intentional infliction of emotional distress after he mocked him on The Soup. The lawsuit was dismissed in 2011.
- In 2012, Joel McHale had a heated exchange with Chevy Chase, his co-star on Community, over Chase’s behavior on set and his use of racial slurs. The two later apologized to each other and continued working together until Chase left the show in 2013.
- In 2014, Joel McHale was criticized by some fans of Community for making a joke about Donald Glover’s departure from the show on The Soup. He later clarified that he was not mocking Glover but expressing his sadness over losing him as a friend and colleague.
- In 2018, Joel McHale was accused of sexual harassment by actress Busy Philipps, who claimed that he groped her at an event in 2008. He denied the allegation and said that Joel McHale only touched her shoulder in a friendly gesture.
- His full name is Joel Edward McHale.
- He was born on November 20, 1971, in Rome, Italy.
- He is 6 feet 4 inches (1.93 meters) tall and weighs 187 pounds (85 kilograms).
- He has brown hair and blue eyes.
- He has an estimated net worth of $14 million as of 2023.
- He is married to Sarah Williams, an artist and spiritual director. They have two sons: Edward and Isaac.
- He graduated from the University of Washington with a bachelor’s degree in history and a master of fine arts degree in acting.
- He is best known for his roles in Community, The Soup and Card Sharks.
- He is also known for his roles in Ted, The Informant!, Spy Kids: All the Time in the World, The Great Indoors, Stargirl, The Happytime Murders, Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion’s Revenge, Mortal Kombat Legends: Battle of the Realms, The Joel McHale Show with Joel McHale and Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness – The Tiger King and I.
- He is a fan of the Seattle Seahawks, the Seattle Mariners and the Seattle Sounders FC.
- He is allergic to eggs and nuts.
What TV show is Joel McHale best known for?
He’s widely recognized for his role as Jeff Winger in the comedy series “Community” and as the host of “The Soup.”
When and where was Joel McHale born?
He was born on 20 November 1971 in Rome, Italy but was raised in Seattle, Washington, USA.
Has Joel McHale worked in films?
Yes, he has appeared in movies such as “Ted,” “Spy Kids: All the Time in the World,” and “Blended.”
Joel McHale is a multifaceted entertainer who has proven his skills in comedy, acting and hosting. He has entertained millions of people with his witty remarks, hilarious performances and charming personality. He has also faced some challenges and controversies along the way but has overcome them with grace and humor.
Joel McHale is a devoted husband, father, friend and colleague who values his family, friends and fans. He is one of the most popular and respected figures in the entertainment industry today.