Gillian Anderson is a renowned actress who has starred in some of the most popular and critically acclaimed TV shows and films of the past three decades. She is best known for her role as FBI agent Dana Scully in The X-Files, a sci-fi drama series that made her a household name and earned her several awards.
Gillian Anderson has also played iconic characters such as Stella Gibson in The Fall, Margaret Thatcher in The Crown, and Jean Milburn in Sex Education. She is not only a talented performer, but also a prolific producer, writer, and activist. She has co-written four books: A Vision of Fire, A Dream of Ice, The Sound of Seas, and We: A Manifesto for Women Everywhere.
Gillian Anderson has also supported various causes such as women’s rights, animal rights, and mental health awareness. She is fluent in French and has dual citizenship in the US and the UK. She has three children and is currently single.
Table of Contents
Gillian Anderson’s Quick Facts
|Full name||Gillian Leigh Anderson|
|Date of birth||August 9, 1968|
|Place of birth||Chicago, Illinois, USA|
|Height||5 ft 3 in (160 cm)|
|Education||DePaul University (BFA in Theatre)|
|Occupation||Actress, producer, writer, activist|
|Net worth||$40 million (as of 2021)|
|Children||Three (Piper, Oscar, and Felix)|
|Social media||Twitter, Instagram, Facebook|
|Awards and nominations||38 wins and 96 nominations|
|Honors||Honorary Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 2016; Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2018|
Gillian Anderson is a multi-award-winning actress who has starred in some of the most popular and critically acclaimed TV shows and films of the past three decades. She is best known for her role as FBI agent Dana Scully in The X-Files, which earned her a Golden Globe, an Emmy, and two Screen Actors Guild Awards.
Gillian Anderson has also played iconic characters such as Stella Gibson in The Fall, Margaret Thatcher in The Crown, and Jean Milburn in Sex Education. She has also appeared in films such as The House of Mirth, The Last King of Scotland, and The Spy Who Dumped Me.
Gillian Anderson is also a producer, writer, and activist who supports various causes such as women’s rights, animal rights, and mental health awareness.
Gillian Anderson’s Age
Gillian Anderson was born on August 9, 1968 in Chicago, Illinois. She is currently 55 years old.
Gillian Anderson’s Height
Gillian Anderson is 5 feet 3 inches (160 cm) tall.
Gillian Anderson attended high school in Grand Rapids, Michigan, where she was involved in theatre and community plays. She graduated in 1986 and moved to Chicago to study at the Goodman Theatre School of DePaul University. She earned her Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Theatre in 1990.
Gillian Anderson’s Net Worth
Gillian Anderson has an estimated net worth of $40 million as of 2021. She has earned most of her wealth from her acting career, especially from her long-running role as Dana Scully in The X-Files. She reportedly earned $225,000 per episode at the peak of the show’s popularity.
Gillian Anderson has also earned money from her other TV and film projects, as well as from her book deals and endorsements.
Gillian Anderson is an American-British actress, producer, writer, and activist who was born on August 9, 1968 in Chicago, Illinois. She is best known for her role as Dana Scully in The X-Files, a sci-fi drama series that ran from 1993 to 2002 and was revived in 2016 and 2018.
Gillian Anderson has also starred in other TV shows such as The Fall, The Crown, and Sex Education, and in films such as The House of Mirth, The Last King of Scotland, and The Spy Who Dumped Me. She has won several awards for her acting work, including a Golden Globe, an Emmy, and two Screen Actors Guild Awards.
Gillian Anderson is also a supporter of various causes such as women’s rights, animal rights, and mental health awareness. She has three children and is currently single.
Gillian Anderson was born to Rosemary and Homer Anderson, who were both computer analysts. She has a younger brother named Aaron and a younger sister named Zoe. When she was two years old, her family moved to Puerto Rico for a year, and then to London for nine years.
Gillian Anderson attended the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art for a brief period when she was 11 years old. When she was 14 years old, her family moved back to the US and settled in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Gillian Anderson had a rebellious adolescence and experimented with drugs and punk rock culture. She was voted “Most Bizarre” and “Most Likely to Be Arrested” by her classmates in high school.
Gillian Anderson began her professional acting career in 1990 when she moved to New York City after graduating from college. She performed in various off-Broadway plays such as Absent Friends and The Philanthropist. She also appeared in a low-budget film called The Turning in 1992.
In 1993, Gillian Anderson auditioned for the role of Dana Scully in The X-Files, a sci-fi drama series created by Chris Carter. Despite being considered too young and too pretty for the role by the network executives, she impressed Carter with her intelligence and seriousness. She was cast opposite David Duchovny as Fox Mulder, an FBI agent who believes in paranormal phenomena.
The X-Files became a huge hit and made Anderson a household name. She won several awards for her performance and became one of the highest-paid actresses on TV.
Gillian Anderson is currently single. She has been married twice and has three children. Her first marriage was to Clyde Klotz, an assistant art director on The X-Files, from 1994 to 1997. They have a daughter named Piper Maru (born in 1994). Her second marriage was to Julian Ozanne, a documentary filmmaker, from 2004 to 2006.
Gillian Anderson has two sons from her relationship with Mark Griffiths, a businessman, Oscar (born in 2006) and Felix (born in 2008). She has also dated other celebrities such as Rodney Rowland, Adrian G. Griffiths, and Peter Morgan.
Gillian Anderson’s Dating History
Gillian Anderson has had a number of romantic relationships throughout her life. Some of the notable ones are:
- Clyde Klotz: He was an assistant art director on The X-Files and Anderson’s first husband. They eloped in Hawaii in 1994 and had a daughter named Piper Maru. They divorced in 1997.
- David Duchovny: He was Anderson’s co-star on The X-Files and played her partner Fox Mulder. They had a close friendship and a rumored affair during the show’s run, but they never confirmed their relationship. They remain good friends and have reprised their roles in two X-Files films and two revival seasons.
- Rodney Rowland: He was an actor who appeared in an episode of The X-Files in 1998. He dated Anderson for a few months in 1998.
- Adrian G. Griffiths: He was a Canadian actor who met Anderson on the set of The House of Mirth in 1999. They dated for about a year and broke up in 2000.
- Julian Ozanne: He was a documentary filmmaker who married Anderson in 2004 in Kenya. They separated in 2006 and divorced in 2007.
- Mark Griffiths: He was a businessman who dated Anderson from 2006 to 2012. They have two sons together, Oscar and Felix.
- Peter Morgan: He was a screenwriter and the creator of The Crown, the Netflix series in which Anderson played Margaret Thatcher. They dated from 2016 to 2020 and split amicably.
Awards and Recognition
Gillian Anderson has received numerous awards and nominations for her acting work. Some of the most notable ones are:
- Golden Globe Awards: She won one award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Drama for The X-Files in 1997, and was nominated four more times for the same role. She was also nominated for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television for The Fall in 2015, and for Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series – Drama for The Crown in 2021.
- Emmy Awards: She won one award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for The X-Files in 1997, and was nominated three more times for the same role. She was also nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie for Bleak House in 2006 and for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series for The Crown in 2021.
- Screen Actors Guild Awards: Gillian Anderson won two awards for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series for The X-Files in 1996 and 1997, and was nominated three more times for the same role. She was also nominated for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series for The Crown in 2021.
- BAFTA Awards: She was nominated for Best Actress in a Leading Role for The House of Mirth in 2001, and for Best Actress in a Supporting Role for The Crown in 2021.
- Critics’ Choice Awards: Gillian Anderson won one award for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series for The Crown in 2021, and was nominated for Best Actress in a Movie/Miniseries for Bleak House in 2006.
Social Media Presence
Gillian Anderson is active on various social media platforms where she interacts with her fans and shares updates about her personal and professional life. She has over 966.8k followers on Twitter, over 2.6 million followers on Instagram, and over 915k likes on Facebook.
Gillian Anderson often posts photos and videos of herself, her family, her pets, her co-stars, her causes, and her projects.
5 Most Interesting Facts about Gillian Anderson
- Gillian Anderson is fluent in French and has dual citizenship in the US and the UK.
- Gillian Anderson is bisexual and has had relationships with both men and women.
- Gillian Anderson is an avid reader and has co-written four books: A Vision of Fire, A Dream of Ice, The Sound of Seas, and We: A Manifesto for Women Everywhere.
- Gillian Anderson is an animal lover and has adopted several rescue dogs and cats.
- Gillian Anderson is a supporter of various charities and causes such as the Feminist Majority Foundation, Neurofibromatosis Network, PETA, Greenpeace, Women for Women International, Trevor Project, etc.
Impact and Legacy
Gillian Anderson is one of the most influential and versatile actresses of her generation. She has made a lasting impact on the entertainment industry and society with her diverse and powerful roles, her artistic and literary talents, her humanitarian and environmental efforts, and her outspoken and authentic personality.
Gillian Anderson has inspired millions of fans around the world with her courage, intelligence, compassion, and beauty.
Gillian Anderson has not been involved in any major legal issues or controversies in her career. However, she has faced some minor disputes and lawsuits over the years. Some of them are:
- In 1996, Gillian Anderson sued a magazine called The Star for publishing a false story that claimed she was pregnant with David Duchovny’s child. She won the case and received an apology and a donation to charity from the magazine.
- In 2002, Gillian Anderson sued a British tabloid called The Mail on Sunday for publishing an unauthorized biography of her that contained false and defamatory information. She settled the case out of court and received an undisclosed amount of damages and a public apology from the tabloid.
- In 2012, Gillian Anderson sued a former assistant named Mary Margaret Moore for embezzling over $250,000 from her over a period of six years. She accused Moore of forging checks, using her credit cards, and stealing cash from her. Moore pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 18 months in prison.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Gillian Anderson married?
No, Gillian Anderson is not married. She has been married twice before, but both marriages ended in divorce. She is currently single.
How many children does Gillian Anderson have?
Gillian Anderson has three children: a daughter named Piper Maru (born in 1994) from her first marriage to Clyde Klotz, and two sons named Oscar (born in 2006) and Felix (born in 2008) from her relationship with Mark Griffiths.
What is Gillian Anderson’s net worth?
According to Celebrity Net Worth, Gillian Anderson has an estimated net worth of $40 million as of 2021.
What is Gillian Anderson’s next project?
Gillian Anderson’s next project is a film called White Bird: A Wonder Story, which is based on a novel by R.J. Palacio. She will play the role of Sara Bloom, the grandmother of a boy who learns about his family’s history during the Holocaust.
How can I contact Gillian Anderson?
You can contact Gillian Anderson through her official website or her social media accounts. However, she may not be able to reply to every message due to her busy schedule and privacy.
Gillian Anderson is a remarkable woman who has achieved success and fame in various fields of art and entertainment. She is also a passionate advocate for various causes that aim to make the world a better place. She is a role model for many people who admire her talent, charisma, and generosity. She is truly one of a kind.