Ethan Hawke is an American actor, writer, and director who has been nominated for four Academy Awards and a Tony Award.
He is known for his roles in films such as Dead Poets Society, Before Sunrise, Training Day, Boyhood, and First Reformed.
Table of Contents
Ethan Hawke Quick Facts
|Full name||Ethan Green Hawke|
|Date of birth||November 6, 1970|
|Place of birth||Austin, Texas, U.S.|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.79 m)|
|Education||Carnegie Mellon University (dropped out)|
|Net worth||$55 million (as of 2021)|
|Spouse(s)||Uma Thurman (m. 1998; div. 2005), Ryan Shawhughes (m. 2008)|
|Children||Maya Hawke, Levon Hawke, Clementine Hawke, Indiana Hawke|
Ethan Hawke Green Hawke, born on November 6, 1970, in Austin, Texas, is a versatile American actor, writer, and director who has left an indelible mark on the world of cinema. With his distinctive talent and dedication, he has become a prominent figure in the entertainment industry.
Ethan Hawke career began at a young age when he made his film debut in the science fiction classic “Explorers” (1985). However, it was his breakthrough role in the coming-of-age drama “Dead Poets Society” (1989) alongside Robin Williams that catapulted him into the spotlight. This early success was just the beginning of a remarkable journey in the world of film and theater.
Over the years, Hawke has displayed his exceptional acting prowess in a wide range of roles, earning critical acclaim and numerous awards. He is perhaps best known for his collaborations with director Richard Linklater, which led to the critically acclaimed “Before Sunrise” (1995), “Before Sunset” (2004), and “Before Midnight” (2013). These films, shot over a span of nearly two decades, showcased Hawke’s ability to bring depth and authenticity to his characters.
In addition to his acting career, Ethan Hawke has made significant contributions as a writer and director. He authored novels such as “The Hottest State” and “Ash Wednesday” and directed films including “Chelsea Walls” (2001) and “The Hottest State” (2006).
Ethan Hawke’s artistic journey has been marked by his willingness to take on diverse and challenging roles, making him a respected figure in both Hollywood and the independent film scene. His passion for the craft of acting, coupled with his artistic versatility, has solidified his place in the annals of cinema history, ensuring that his influence on the industry endures for years to come.
Ethan Hawke is currently 52 years old.
Ethan Hawke is 5 feet 10 inches (178 cm) tall.
He attended West Windsor Plainsboro High School South and later transferred to the Hun School of Princeton, where he developed an interest in acting. He made his film debut in the sci-fi movie Explorers (1985) when he was 14.
Ethan Hawke enrolled at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh to study theater in 1988, but dropped out after a few months to pursue his acting career. He moved to New York City and joined the Malaparte Theater Company, which was co-founded by his friend and fellow actor Steve Zahn.
As of 2021, Ethan Hawke’s net worth is estimated to be around $55 million.
Ethan Hawke parents were high school sweethearts in Fort Worth, Texas, and married young when his mother was 17. They separated and later divorced in 1974 when he was four years old. After the separation, Hawke was raised by his mother. The two relocated several times before settling in New York City, where Hawke attended the Packer Collegiate Institute in Brooklyn Heights. Hawke’s mother remarried when he was 10, and the family moved to West Windsor Township, New Jersey.
Ethan Hawke rose to fame with his role as Todd Anderson in the drama film Dead Poets Society (1989), which earned him critical acclaim and a Young Artist Award nomination. He followed this with roles in films such as White Fang (1991), A Midnight Clear (1992), Reality Bites (1994), and Before Sunrise (1995), the first of the Before trilogy with Julie Delpy.
Hawke also ventured into writing and directing, making his directorial debut with the documentary Chelsea Walls (2001) and publishing his first novel The Hottest State (1996). He received his first Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his performance as Jake Hoyt in the crime thriller Training Day (2001), opposite Denzel Washington.
In the 2000s, Hawke continued to work in various genres of films, such as Gattaca (1997), Hamlet (2000), Tape (2001), Before Sunset (2004), Assault on Precinct 13 (2005), Fast Food Nation (2006), Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead (2007), and Daybreakers (2009). He also appeared on stage in plays such as The Seagull, Henry IV, The Coast of Utopia, and Macbeth. He received his second Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his role as Father Toller in the drama film First Reformed (2017), which was widely praised by critics.
Ethan Hawke most notable work is his collaboration with director Richard Linklater on the Before trilogy and the coming-of-age film Boyhood (2014). The Before trilogy consists of three romantic films that follow the relationship of Jesse and Celine (played by Hawke and Delpy) over two decades. The films were shot with long gaps between them and featured improvised dialogue by the actors. The trilogy received universal acclaim and earned Hawke two Academy Award nominations for Best Adapted Screenplay for Before Sunset and Before Midnight (2013). Boyhood is a unique film that was filmed over 12 years with the same cast, depicting the growth of a boy named Mason (played by Ellar Coltrane) from age six to 18. The film was hailed as a masterpiece and earned Hawke his fourth Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor.
|1989||Dead Poets Society|
Awards and Nominations
- Academy Awards: Ethan Hawke has been nominated for four Academy Awards, receiving two nominations for Best Adapted Screenplay, thanks to his writing contributions in Before Sunset (2004) and its sequel Before Midnight (2013), and two nominations for Best Supporting Actor, for his performances in the films Training Day (2001) and Boyhood (2014).
- BAFTA Awards: Hawke has been nominated once for the BAFTA Awards in the Best Supporting Actor category for his role in Training Day (2001).
- Golden Globe Awards: Ethan Hawke has been nominated twice for the Golden Globe Awards, once in the Best Supporting Actor category for his role in Training Day (2001) and once in the Best Actor category for his role in The Good Lord Bird (2020).
- Screen Actors Guild Awards: Hawke has been nominated four times for the Screen Actors Guild Awards, twice in the Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture category for his roles in Training Day (2001) and Boyhood (2014), and twice in the Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role category for his roles in Training Day (2001) and Boyhood (2014).
- Tony Awards: Hawke has been nominated once for the Tony Awards in the Best Featured Actor in a Play category for his role in Tom Stoppard’s play The Coast of Utopia.
Ethan Hawke married actress Uma Thurman in 1998 after meeting on the set of Gattaca. They have two children: daughter Maya Hawke (born in 1998) and son Levon Hawke (born in 2002). The couple separated in 2003 amid rumors of Hawke’s infidelity and divorced in 2005.
Ethan Hawke married Ryan Shawhughes, a former nanny to his and Thurman’s children, in 2008. They have two daughters: Clementine Jane Hawke (born in 2008) and Indiana Hawke (born in 2011).
Hawke is a supporter of various causes, such as environmentalism, human rights, and animal rights. He is also a co-founder of the Young Lions Fiction Award, which honors the works of young fiction writers.
Ethan Hawke has been in relationships with several women, including Jennifer Perzow, Julia Roberts, Karen Campbell, and Elisa Jordana. He met his first wife, Uma Thurman, on the set of the sci-fi film Gattaca in 1996 and they got married in 19983. They divorced in 2005 after seven years of marriage and two children together. He met his second wife, Ryan Shawhughes, when she was the nanny to his children with Thurman, although they were not romantically involved at the time. They reconnected a year after his divorce from Thurman and began dating. They got married in 2008 and have two daughters together.
Ethan Hawke has been married twice in his life. His first marriage was with Uma Thurman, an actress who starred in Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill. They had a daughter, Maya, in 1998 and a son, Levon, in 2002. Their marriage ended in 2005 amid rumors of infidelity on Hawke’s part, which he denied. His second marriage was with Ryan Shawhughes, an actress and producer who worked as a nanny for his children with Thurman. They have two daughters, Clementine and Indiana. Hawke has said that he loves Ryan tremendously and that they are incredibly compatible.
Ethan Hawke has four children from his two marriages. His eldest child is Maya Hawke, who was born on July 8, 1998. She is also an actress who has appeared in Stranger Things and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood6. She has worked with her father in The Good Lord Bird and Wildcat6. His second child is Levon Roan Thurman-Hawke, who was born on January 15, 2002. He is a model and actor who has appeared in War with Grandpa and Blackout6. His third child is Clementine Jane Hawke, who was born on July 18, 2008. She is an actress who has appeared in The Good Lord Bird and The Northman. His fourth child is Indiana Hawke, who was born on July 23, 2011. She is a singer who has released songs like “Never Born” and “Darkness”.
5 Most Interesting Facts about Ethan Hawke
- Ethan Hawke is a distant relative of Tennessee Williams, the famous playwright who wrote A Streetcar Named Desire and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.
- Hawke is an avid reader and has a personal library of over 10,000 books. He has also written three novels: The Hottest State (1996), Ash Wednesday (2002), and Rules for a Knight (2015).
- Ethan Hawke is a musician and has released two albums: Ash Wednesday (2002) and The Hottest State (2007). He also plays the guitar and the piano.
- Ethan Hawke is a fan of horror films and has starred in several of them, such as Sinister (2012), The Purge (2013), Predestination (2014), and The Black Phone (2021).
- Hawke is a sports enthusiast and enjoys playing soccer, basketball, tennis, and chess. He is also a fan of the New York Knicks and the New York Giants.
Impact and Legacy
Ethan Hawke is one of the most versatile and respected actors of his generation, who has worked in various genres and mediums of entertainment. He has been nominated for four Academy Awards, two Golden Globe Awards, four Screen Actors Guild Awards, and a Tony Award. He has also won two BAFTA Awards, two Independent Spirit Awards, two Gotham Awards, and a Critics’ Choice Award.
Ethan Hawke is known for his artistic integrity and his willingness to take risks and experiment with his craft. He has collaborated with some of the most acclaimed directors in the industry, such as Richard Linklater, Sidney Lumet, Antoine Fuqua, Paul Schrader, and Spike Lee. He has also written and directed several films and documentaries that showcase his vision and creativity.
Ethan Hawke has influenced many young actors and filmmakers with his passion and dedication to his work. He has also inspired many fans with his charismatic personality and his advocacy for various causes. He is regarded as one of the most influential figures in American cinema.
- In 1997, Ethan Hawke was arrested for disorderly conduct after he got into an argument with a cab driver in New York City. He was released without charges.
- In 2004, Ethan Hawke filed a lawsuit against his former agent Theresa Peters for breach of contract and fraud. He claimed that she had failed to pay him commissions for several films he had starred in or produced. The case was settled out of court in 2006.
- In 2010, Ethan Hawke was sued by the construction company that renovated his townhouse in Manhattan for $104,000. The company alleged that Hawke had failed to pay them for their work. The case was dismissed in 2011.
- In 2013, Ethan Hawke was sued by the former owners of his townhouse for $1.5 million. They claimed that Hawke had caused damage to the property during his renovation project. The case was settled out of court in 2014.
Frequently Asked Questions
How old is Ethan Hawke?
Ethan Hawke is 53 years old as of 2021.
How tall is Ethan Hawke?
Ethan Hawke is 5 ft 10 in (1.79 m) tall.
How much is Ethan Hawke worth?
Ethan Hawke has an estimated net worth of $55 million as of 2021.
Who is Ethan Hawke married to?
Ethan Hawke has been married to Ryan Shawhughes since 2008. They have two daughters together.
Who are Ethan Hawke’s children?
Ethan Hawke has four children: Maya Hawke and Levon Hawke from his previous marriage to Uma Thurman, and Clementine Hawke and Indiana Hawke from his current marriage to Ryan Shawhughes.
What are Ethan Hawke’s best movies?
Some of Ethan Hawke’s best movies are Dead Poets Society (1989), Before Sunrise (1995), Training Day (2001), Before Sunset (2004), Boyhood (2014), Before Midnight (2013), First Reformed
Ethan Hawke is a talented and versatile actor, writer, and director who has been working in the entertainment industry for over three decades. He has starred in some of the most acclaimed films of all time and has received numerous awards and nominations for his work. He is also a passionate and outspoken advocate for various causes and a devoted father and husband. He is one of the most influential and respected figures in American cinema.